Friday, September 5, 2008

Phone Interview!!!

I finally got the phone interview with Colin that I had been waiting on yesterday during my break at work. It all went really well! (he had a great British accent!)

The very first thing he told me was how excited he was to get my application. They get a lot of applications in but because of the overseas opportunity that ICY gives, not very often do they get one that seems completely sincere. Then he asked me some questions, some harder to answer then others. We talked for a little while about the calling that I felt and how he program would suit me.

Then he asked if I had any questions... so I brought up the question about financial aid, which he said they didn't accept. I kind of figured this would happen but I was also hoping that they would give me an alternative to the financial issue... however his answer was the same. They need the full payment of the year before the sessions for that year begin. I told him that this was my biggest worry and knew that if this was were God was calling me, it wouldn't be a problem and not even worth the worry time, but I couldn't help thinking about it.

Next, he walked me through the next steps of the application process. First, they get a hold of my references, and put me in touch with Darin and Kyle (the leaders of the UK division and also former Royal Servants Alumni). The next big step is to meet with one of them to put the application packet together to send to the churches. He said that one of them should be coming into the area(they are both from Illinois) around the beginning of October. This is when we'll make the DVD interview and talk a little more in person about the program and what's to be expected. Then, we sent the church packet to all of the available churches and wait for one to be interested. Meanwhile, prayer is a major part of this. Everyone should be praying about the right church placement, right timing, etc. If everything should work out, the next session begins the beginning of January. But as Colin said, "there are lots of hoops to jump through!"

There are still lots of things to be praying about. I'll give you the main points:
The right timing for our meeting here in the US
The right church placement
Finances and other expenses
Finding a way to sell what I need to sell (or someone to take my cat...)

At the end of our conversation, Colin asked if i had any more questions. When I said I couldn't think of any off the top of my head, his answer made me laugh. "Thats ok, because actually the best people to talk to are the others (meaning Darin and Kyle), because, well... they're American." ;)

He then made a few last points and told me to keep praying about the whole process, because in the end, it's not up to us: "All we do is rejoice to the Lords speaking and leading, it's not our call."

Talking to him made me feel very excited, apprehensive, and content that I'm following God's call all at the same time. He answered lot's of questions and brought up some new ones. I'm looking forward to the meeting in October but know it will be hard being patient until then. Thank you all who are praying and if you have any questions, let me know!

2 comments:

The Kings said...

I'm going to keep praying for God's will in all this...in the meantime, don't get so busy with "important" things that you forget to spend time with the one who is really in control!

Sheri said...

Hi, Shelley!

So, excited, apprehensive and content? Sounds familiar! I'll be praying for you as you keep walking forward!

Sheri