Monday, September 8, 2008

Sunday Sunday Sunday!!!

I love fall... It's always my favorite season. And this weekend, I've definitely had a "fall" weekend.

First, on Saturday Stacey, Shannon, and I took Lydia and Joshua to the apple orchard... which really gave me the "fall" feeling. But Sunday is what really made the weekend for me.

After church, my friends and I decided that it was such a nice day, we should have a cook out. (I didn't have my camera with me, otherwise I would have pictures!) We stopped by hilander and got stuff to cook and then headed over to the Knaul's house, where Trisha lent us her house for the afternoon. Steven and I prepared the food inside while Matt and Michael headed up the grill outside. It was a lot of fun to cook with them again... it's been a long time since we all cooked together (it used to be a usual get together activity!) Everyone enjoyed the food, even Beth, whose a vegetarian!

Then we headed to church for Jr. High youth group where we prepared the kids for the assignment for the night. After a few instructions, we took them over the Roscoe Fall Fest, where we challenged them to the "Ten Commandment Challenge." It was great to go, but way out of the comfort zone for some of the kids. So, what is the "Ten Commandment Challenge?"

You walk up to a group of people... introduce yourselves and ask them if they would like to take part in a documentary. If they agree, then you proceed with a video camera. The first question you ask, is if they can name the ten commandments. After letting them answer with as many as they know, you then ask how many brands of beer/liquor they can name. Depending on how the conversation goes, ask them more questions... Where was Jesus born? Where did he die? Does God make mistakes? How was the earth created?... If you're really bold, like some of us were, you may even ask them to explain their belief system and challenge them with questions that lead to a spiritual conversation... but that's only if your willing to enter into the walk through the plan of salvation.

Most of the kids were way to shy to talk to kids their own age, if not older. Andy started with a group of kids that obviously didn't know anything about God. They got into a very heated discussion with Andy about Christianity and everyone was glad that Andy was doing the interview... not many of the kids could have answered their questions. Then, Andy split the groups up. I took a group of younger females. The first group we approached, none of the girls wanted to speak, so I told them I would help... and with my extroverted personality, I had no problem (this was no different then street evangelism, that I have done many times before). The kids we talked to were all catholic... and knew most of the religious questions. It was hard to get to the specifics when they were in a group of about 15 and really distracted. Then, we approached a group of older teens, who actually turned out to be slightly intoxicated... so the girls and I didn't stay long. (Not that I would have a problem, just didn't want the younger girls to be around that.) And for our last attempt, we approached a pair of cops that were working the fair. They stayed very neutral and avoided all religious questions.

It was a very hard setting with the loud music and many distractions. Andy wants to eventually take us to the mall, and wanted the kids to get some practice locally before they ventured out. It was a good night and very exciting to see the younger ones getting out and speaking up! I'm looking forward to our next attempt and am praying that God will open many door for us to minister!

This is a picture (the only one I took...) of Beth and I with Chris, who was working the Culver's booth at the fall fest... we stopped to talk to him as we were all closing up.



It really was a great day... I look forward to many more fall days just like this one! But what can I say, there's just something about this time of year for me!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, the evangelism sounds realy cool, I've never done that before. It sounds like the Way of the Master program - is that where Andy got the idea?

Shelley said...

Yes, actually... the youth group has been studying and watching video's about the Way of the Master. I had actually never heard of them before Andy started introducing it to the youth group, but I'm very impressed with their teaching.

The Kings said...

Yeah, I loved "The Way of the Master" and how they presented the gospel to people on the street. We actually did that same kind of evangelism when I was in college. We would break in to teams of two and go up to people eating lunch outside and ask if we could join them. Then we would ask them a series of questions...I enjoyed it and it really helped me to grow as I was a brand new Christian at the time. I think Andy has the right idea!