Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The facts of life

I must admit I feel a bit lost in life right now... Let me explain...

A year ago, I had everything figured out. I had a good job, good place to live, however I had nothing in my future because I was simply just waiting around for Andrew... To me, everything here was temporary. Then a year later, my world came shattering into pieces when I realized that to him, there was no future. Little did I know that this was going to be a blessing. God has shown me lately that I need to become my own person in Him and find out who I am fully in Christ before He can give me the fullness of His will. So I began searching for myself in Christ. After some road blocks and many wrong turns, I finally landed on the answer that I had always known was there. I found out a long time ago that God was calling into missions... At first, I didn't want anything to do with it... I knew it would be a hard life and honestly didn't want to live it. But slowly over the years and the experiences in missions that I have had, God has shown me the rewards that come from living this life, whether it be long term or temporary. And although I had stopped listening to this call for a while because of things people were telling me and other things that I wanted in life, I began to think about it again these last few months. Now, I have no idea where God is calling me, but I know I have been called. Is it here in the U.S. or overseas? Am I going to Canada or all the way to China? A little while ago, I took a big step in this journey to follow Christ and applied to Moody, and as much as I would like the achievement of getting into Moody, I also know that the odds aren't in my favor. Then tonight I talked to a friend... This was a trusted friend, one that knows me, I dare say, better then I know myself. She told me of a program overseas that is a youth ministry training program. It's a three year program and it will earn you a degree... now, the only problem is, three years?! Overseas?! Already?! I don't know if I'm ready for that yet... And maybe I'm not. She just thought I'd like to look into it... Even if I don't want to even think about something like that. But just in case it is where God is calling me, I'll learn up on it and get some more information... who knows, maybe a year from now I'll be heading off to another country for a few years.

"It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." Ephesians 4:11-14

Please be praying with me about this decision... It may or not be right for me... but either way, it's worth leaving the door open. If you would like to look into this with me, the website is http://icy.org.uk/ and I would love to hear what you think. Thank you all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, Shelley, I had no idea all of this was going on (I guess you didn't either!) I took a look at the website and it looks like a wonderful opportunity IF you really want to study (you can do it if you want to, but you haven't wanted to in the past.) It looks like it will cost almost $400 a month for other people to support you, and they wouldn't want to see you waste their money by not studying. I think you would be great in ministry if you set your mind to it, and I think you are better suited to serve over seas than most people. We'll be praying that you make the right decision(s).